Monday, June 23, 2008

Carolina on my Mind

So, this is my first blog post. I have resisted creating a blog for quite some time because I never thought my life was exciting enough to document on a regular basis. However, my 2 college roommates (Alisia & Emily) came to visit me in Boone this weekend. Emily convinced me that my life isn't as boring as I may think it is given that I am about to move, complete my Ph.D., start a new job, and get married. Anyway, she was able to sell me on the whole blog idea. We had a really great weekend...it was so good to catch up with them! I can't believe it's been 10 years since we first met our freshman year. Here are the highlights of the weekend:


  • Friday- All 3 of us managed to fall asleep by mid-afternoon. Their excuse was an early morning flight. I had no excuse. We then went out to eat pancakes for supper at the Mountain House Restaurant.
  • Saturday- Went in to Blowing Rock to pick up my wedding invitations (woohoo!). We then had a lovely lunch in downtown Boone at Our Daily Bread. This was followed by a trip to Mayberry (Mt. Airy). Alisia is an Andy Griffith Show fan (much like Kent), so this trip fulfilled one of her life dreams. We ended the day with dinner at one of my favorite restaurants of all time, the Dan'l Boone Inn (or DBI as the locals call it).
  • Sunday- We spent all day Sunday in Asheville at the Biltmore Estate. I am a 12-month passholder for the Biltmore if that tells you anything about how much I like it there. We took a Behind the Scenes tour which was very neat. As we exited the Biltmore, we stopped at the McDonald's in Biltmore Village. That may not sound like a very glamorous place to eat after strolling through the largest, most extravagant home in America, but this is not your typical McDonald's. The inside is complete with fresh flowers, a fireplace, tapestries on the wall, and a baby grand piano.


  • Monday- We started the day with a hike to a waterfall near my place off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We then had some fabulous hamburgers at Sonny's Grill in Blowing Rock. They're now on their way back to Forth Worth...boo! It was a geat weekend!

I will post pictures from the weekend later, but here's a blast from the past for now!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Look at you!!! Victory!

I had so much fun this weekend. Thanks again for having us. New and better pictures coming soon...

Kent Morgan said...

Is that a picture from this past weekend? You look the same now as you did 8 years ago! Beautiful as ever :)